Saturday, June 19, 2010

Purple Green and Yellow

I have been in need of some inspiration and am drawing from any and every source available. Growing up, I was a big fan of Robert Munsch especially Purple Green and Yellow (and The Paper Bag Princess). And to be honest, I've dreamed about the tattoos I would get if I didn't think I would tire of them in a year.

In Purple Green and Yellow, Brigid is on a quest for markers. At first she is satisfied with drawing pictures. Then she wants washable markers and next markers that smell and ultimately super-indelible-never-come-off-till-your-dead-and-maybe-even-later markers. She draws on herself with these super sharpies and the rest of the story is about what it takes to get them off. (This book may have been the cause of the absence of markers in my house from ages 3-9).

Last night I was feeling a little silly and went to town on myself with some good old Crayola markers in what turned out to be one part therapy, one part human coloring book and one part practice tattoo. It was pretty magical to be covered in all the symbols that are so powerful to me, to recognize them on me, and the was the visible evidence away.



PS. Thank you Crayola!

No comments:

Post a Comment